The end of the ski season is upon us. Dana, Miky, Weeze, and I went to Sicilia for Easter. I was away from the mountains for ten warm spring days and now the snow is a brown color, screaming to the few faithful skiers, “get your turns in now, because I am just going to get darker and darker, until one day you will be skiing in last year’s cow plop.” The whole town is different, too. Normally a sleepy town, Courmayeur has shut down after Easter. Hotels are closed, free bus services are halted, and – the biggest kick in the testicular region – the Val Veny tram is closed. For the loyal readers who remember my first few blog posts, I used to have to take a bus to the main tram. This is what I have to do now, except that the free bus service is no longer operational. Great idea.
Also while I was away, the bus services that didn’t shut down changed their schedules. So even the buses that charge you don’t show up at their normal times. Trying to get to the tram this morning, I got the distinct impression that Courmayeur wanted me to end my season. Well guess what, Courmayeuresi: you want my blood? Take it! Take my blood! I am going to keep pushing along until I am skiing on cow plop, just like Samuel L. Jackson in The Negotiator. I still enjoyed myself today, despite breakable mush, and if it gets sunny the skiing will still be great.
I am feeling worse about the end of this ski season than I have ever felt before. The town has changed, most of the other ski bums have gone back to their summer jobs, and the rest of them have gone on to summer activities, like rock climbing and smelling bad. I think the main reason that I am so depressed about the imminent lift closure is that I have never been a full-fledged ski bum before. I ski a lot, and I bummed in
No comments:
Post a Comment